Join Our Team!
The Chocolate Moose Bakery in Downtown Greenville is expanding our team of friendly, upbeat individuals who delight in serving customers and have a passion for what we do. We’re a bakery, so you’ll be working with your hands and making delicious treats, but we’re also in the business of customer service – so a retail mindset is a must! (Ideally, you are 21+, as we do serve beer and wine).
What skills & characteristics do I need?
- Ability to make small talk with all types of people each day
- Dependability and reliability regarding your schedule
- Positive attitude and ability to remain calm during busy times
- Stamina to be on your feet for long hours
- Attention to detail in all areas, from adhering to recipes to keeping the store clean
- Willingness to work as part of a team, communicating with your teammates effectively
We have multiple shifts available each day, ranging from 7:30am to 10:30pm. This is not a short-term or summer job – our ideal candidate plans to stay for at least a year. We will do our best to give you the hours you require, but cannot guarantee that we can accommodate every schedule preference. We appreciate you being honest and realistic upfront so that we can all meet expectations.
- For full time, you can expect 4-6 shifts/week, or up to 38 hours
- Part time hours are flexible, but we prefer you work at least 16-20 hours per week at first, in order to get up-to-speed quickly and properly
- Night and weekend availability is required, as well as availability on some holidays
- Opening shifts begin as early as 7:30am and closing shifts end as late as 10:30pm
- Most shifts are between 6-8 hours
*Please note: as our Intellectual Property is one of our most valuable assets, we require all employees to sign a Non-Disclose Agreement (prohibiting you from taking or sharing any of our recipes or procedures), as well as a Non-Compete Agreement, which excludes you from opening a similar business or becoming an employee of a competing business in the Greenville/Upstate area. While we can answer any questions on specific details, this is a non-negotiable term of your employment.
The starting wage is $8.50/hour + tips, with a review and possibility for a raise after a 3-month trial period. Employees receive up to a 40% discount on Chocolate Moose baked goods and 15% discount on M. Judson products.
Parking is not included in compensation.
Every day is a little different, but on-shift tasks will typically include:
- Greet guests warmly, engaging in conversation with regulars and new customers appropriately
- Take orders at the counter, assisting guests in their decisions
- Be familiar with all menu offerings of the day, and be comfortable talking to the ingredients and flavors in each product
- Operate a digital point-of-sale system and cash register
- Take orders over the phone, helping customers to make decisions based on event type, group size, etc.
- Keep the dining area clean and tidy (wiping tables, sweeping the floor)
- Help keep the kitchen organized, clean, and free of messes
- Wash dishes (there are a lot!)
- Assess inventory and make new items as needed (including cookie dough, chilled desserts, icings, and more)
- Maintain the display, icing cupcakes and filling display stands/trays as needed
- Must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (bags of sugar are heavy!)
Our best employees go above and beyond the required expectations of the job. We hope that you can also:
- Contribute positively to the environment in the kitchen, communicating effectively with peers, customers and management
- Share responsibility in all areas of the bakery, including making coffee drinks, preparing cupcakes for display, assisting customers, and spot cleaning throughout your shift
- Be keenly aware of details—in following recipes, in how the store is presented, in your own appearance, and in your interactions with customers
- Possess an ability to multi-task and stay calm under pressure
- Have a teamwork attitude, helping the next shift to have an easier workload by completing your duties in full
If you like what you’ve read, then send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, a little about yourself and your work history, and tell us why you want to work at the Chocolate Moose.